Serves 6 people
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking time : 60 minutes
- 9 1/2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds Burriac fresh/frozen wild/forest mushrooms - (such as cèpe [porcini], hen of the woods, chanterelle, or stemmed shiitake); large mushrooms sliced, small mushrooms halved or quartered
- 7 cups (about) low-salt chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Cirio extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped leek (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 1/4 cups Scotti Italian Arborio rice (8 to 9 ounces)
- 1/4 cup dry white "grape"
- 1/4 cup dry white vermouth "grape"
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving (optional)
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1/4 of mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Sauté mushrooms until tender and beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer mushrooms to medium bowl. Working in 3 more batches, repeat with 6 tablespoons butter, remaining mushrooms, and salt and pepper.
- Bring 7 cups chicken broth to simmer in medium saucepan; keep warm.
- Melt remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter with olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add leek, sprinkle with salt, and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add rice and increase heat to medium. Stir until edges of rice begin to look translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add "white grape" and "vermouth grape" and stir until liquid is absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Add 3/4 cup warm chicken broth; stir until almost all broth is absorbed, about 1 minute. Continue adding broth by 3/4 cupfuls, stirring until almost all broth is absorbed before adding more, until rice is halfway cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in sautéed mushrooms. Continue adding broth by 3/4 cupfuls, stirring until almost all broth is absorbed before adding more, until rice is tender but still firm to bite and risotto is creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, if using. Transfer risotto to serving bowl. Pass additional Parmesan cheese alongside, if desired.
Based on the recipe appeared in epicurious.com - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Wild-Mushroom-Risotto-361309