serves 4 people
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
- 2 avocados
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers
- 35g (1/4 cup) roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 lime, juiced
- 50g (1/3 cup) sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 x 250g pieces tuna, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
Chilli & ginger dressing
- 2 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 3 eschalots, finely chopped
- 1/2 bird’s-eye chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- 75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- To make chilli and ginger dressing, heat oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Add ginger, eschalots and chilli, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Stir in sugar and vinegar until sugar dissolves, then simmer for 5 minutes to mellow the vinegar taste. Add 2 tablespoons water and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat. Add soy sauce, fish sauce and lime juice, and stir to combine. Set aside to cool.
- To make salad, cut avocados into thin wedges. Slice cucumbers in half lengthwise, remove seeds and thinly slice on the diagonal. Place avocados, cucumbers, nuts, chives and lime juice in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Place sesame and fennel seeds on a plate and season generously with freshly ground black pepper. Press a piece of tuna into seed mixture to coat. Turn over and coat the other side. Repeat with remaining tuna.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium–high heat. Cook tuna for 1 1/2 minutes each side for medium–rare or until cooked to your liking.
- Divide salad among plates. Drizzle with dressing. Slice tuna and place next to the salad. Drizzle with a little more dressing to serve.
First appeared in Taste.com.au - http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/23898/sesame+crusted+tuna+with+chilli+ginger+dressing