BARBECUED LAMB LEG WITH CORN SALSA
PREPARATION TIME: 6 MINUTES
COOKING TIME: 40 MINUTES
SERVINGS: 4 PEOPLE
MAIN INGREDIENT: TOP PADDOCK PREMIUM GRASS-FED AUSTRALIAN LAMB
- 1½ kg leg of lamb, boned and butterflied
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- ⅓ cup small mint leaves
1.Preheat the barbecue flat-plate or char-grill plate to hot. Lightly score the inside of the butterflied lamb leg in a criss-cross fashion. Rub the sumac over the lamb, then brush or spray lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper.
2.Place the lamb on the barbecue, reduce heat to moderately-hot. Cook the first side of the lamb for 20 minutes, turn with tongs and cook for a further 20 minutes. Cover lamb loosely with foil and rest it for 10 minutes before serving.
3.While the lamb rests add the oil to a frypan and heat over a moderately-high heat. Add the capsicum, corn, garlic and cumin. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the coriander and mint. Serve the sliced lamb with the corn salsa.
- Sumac is the dried fruit of a shrub, native to the Mediterranean. It is sold coarsely or finely ground. Sumac has a lemony, citrus flavour with very little smell. You could use grated lemon rind to replace it.
- Test for doneness with tongs. Rare is soft when pressed, medium is springy and well done is very firm.
- To slow roast the lamb leg with corn salsa:
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC (see tips above). Lightly score the inside of the thickest part of a 1.5kg butterflied lamb leg in a criss-cross fashion, giving the lamb a more overall thickness. Rub a little oil and 1 tbsp of sumac, or your favourite spice over the lamb. Then season lamb with pepper and salt. Place in roasting dish, cover dish with baking paper and foil, roast for 2 hours, remove paper and foil and roast for a further 30 mins to brown lamb.
- Serve with a salsa of corn kernels, chopped red capsicum, coriander and mint leaves.
ORDER INGREDIENTS ONLINE